Herniated Disc Treatment from Our San Mateo Wellness Team
Herniated discs don't always cause pain, but when they do, the pain can be so intense that it disrupts your day-to-day activities. If you want to improve your spinal disc health, find relief from your symptoms, and avoid back surgery, our San Mateo team of chiropractors, a massage therapist, and a wellness care practitioner can help.
Understanding a Herniated Disc
Spinal discs are soft, disc-shaped structures located between your vertebrae. These discs are essential for mobility, stability, and shock absorption throughout the spine.
A disc herniates when the gel-like fluid inside the disc leaks out through a tear in the disc's tough outer layer. This is different from a bulging disc, in which the disc bulges or distorts out of normal alignment but doesn't tear.
Discs themselves don't have a lot of nerve endings. However, a damaged herniated disc can painfully irritate nearby structures like spinal nerves and joints. This can lead to a wide range of uncomfortable symptoms, including:
- Stiffness and pain in the spine where the disc herniated
- Numbness, tingling, pain, and/or weakness in an arm or leg (this happens when a nerve root becomes irritated by the damaged disc)
- Decreased activity tolerance
- Increased pain with certain movements, e.g., bending forward
Causes of a Herniated Disc
It's not always clear why a herniated disc happens. Sometimes, an acute bout of trauma is to blame, such as a slip, fall, sports injury, work injury, or car accident. In other cases, a herniated disc develops gradually over time.
You might be more at risk of a herniated disc if you are older, are overweight, smoke (smoking can deplete the amount of quality blood flow to the disc itself), frequently bend or carry heavy objects at work, or sit too much.
Treatment for Herniated Discs from Our San Mateo Team
Crystal Springs Chiropractic is home to a team of experienced San Mateo chiropractors, a massage therapist, and a wellness care practitioner. We take a holistic look when assessing your herniated disc and develop an individualized treatment plan to help you find relief. Here is a list of a few of the treatments we offer:
- Chiropractic adjustments, including non-invasive decompression, to optimize disc and joint alignment, trigger innate healing mechanisms in your nervous system, and reduce inflammation and pain
- Massage therapy, to ease tension and maximize healing circulation
- Homeopathic and nutrition services to give your body the tools it needs to heal
Looking for Herniated Disc Treatment in San Mateo, CA?
Having a herniated disc doesn't mean you'll be in pain forever. Call (650) 574-1456 to schedule an appointment with San Mateo wellness team for a happier spine.